The English for Work Program
The English for Work Program is a free English language learning program for employees of the University of Maryland, College Park. Program participants learn and practice skills and strategies that improve their ability to read, write listen and speak English for practical life and work purposes.
The program offers employees 3 levels of English so that employees are better able to:
- Communicate & connect with co-workers, supervisors and the campus community
- Access campus resources
- Perform language oriented work related tasks
- Understand work related guidelines and practices
Basic Computer Skills Classes (Computer Connections Program)
Every semester UHR offers basic computer classes to campus employees. Participants in the computer connections program learn how to
- find websites
- check their paystubs
- use email
- use Microsoft Word to create flyers and a resume
- connect to resources and people on campus
- search and apply for an online job
- talk about their resume in an interview
Watch our video to learn more about the program.
If you know of UMD employees who would like to sign up for an ESOL or computer class please have them call us to register. Spanish and French interpreters are available for all computer classes. 301-405-1248 (English) 301-405-5651 (Spanish)
Both the ESOL & Basic Computer Skills are offered for staff members at no cost.
Last updated: April 8, 2014