Postings can be configured to solicit confidential letters of references for applicants by using the Online Reference feature. When creating the posting the Creator, Hiring Official or Search Chair have the ability to indicate if the posting will use the Online Reference Feature. Only one type of references should be used in the posting.
When using this feature applicants will be prompted when completing the application to enter the names and email addresses of the required number of reference providers. When an applicant status workflow state is changed by the Search Chair/Coordinator to “Send Online Reference” the reference providers will receive a system generated email asking them for recommendations. Each message contains a unique link that allows the recipient to respond confidentially. The link expires when the reference provider uploads a letter of recommendation or completes the recommendation form.
Using the OnLine Reference Feature
- When creating the posting from the Online References tab select Yes from the dropdown menu to indicate the this posting will accept reference letters
- Fill in the following fields:
- Cutoff Date: this is the last date you will allow reference providers to submit letters
- Minimum Number of Requests: enter the minimum number of reference letters you will accept
- Maximum Number of Requests: enter the maximum number of reference letters you will accept
- Instructions to Reference Provider: suggested text is already included but can be changed
- Completed/End Instructions to Reference Provider: suggested text is already included but can be changed
- After completing all fields select Next or Save.
Instructions for Sending the Request to Reference Providers
- From the Applicants Tab select the applicants you want the email request sent to
- Under the Action button click Move in Workflow
- Select the applicant status Send Online Reference then Save Changes, the email will be sent once the statuses have updated
Viewing Applicants References Letters
- From the Applicants tab click the Last Name of the applicant to work with
- Select the Recommendations tab
- Under Recommendations click the letter to view
- To view the recommendation, select the link next to Attached Letter of Reference
- To exit the letter simply click the Back Button
Last updated: April 11, 2014