2016 ACA 1095-C tax forms

Individuals are NOT REQUIRED to submit these forms with their 2016 tax forms.  As with last year, just keep a copy with your 2016 tax documents.

ACA Form 1095 Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is this form I’m receiving?A 1095 form is a little bit like a W-2 form. Your employer or insurer sends one copy to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and one copy to you. A W-2 form reports your annual earnings. A 1095 form reports your health care coverage throughout the year.
  2. Who sends the form, and how/when is it delivered?Your employer or health insurance company (Kaiser enrollees only) should provide one to you either by mail or in person. They may send the form to you electronically if you gave them permission to do so. You should receive it no later than March 2, 2017.
  3. Why are you sending it to me?The 1095 forms will show that you and your family members either did or did not have health coverage during each month of the past year. Because of the Affordable Care Act, every person must obtain health insurance or pay a penalty to the IRS.
  4. I thought the Affordable Care Act was being repealed. Do I still need this form?The Affordable Care Act was in effect for the entire year of 2016. IRS tax forms will still require you to report whether or not you had health coverage in 2016.
  5. What am I supposed to do with this form?Keep it for your tax records. You do not actually need this form in order to file your taxes, but when you do file, you will have to tell the IRS whether you had health insurance for each month of 2016. The Form 1095-B or 1095-C shows if you had health insurance through your employer. Since you do not actually need this form to file your taxes, you do not have to wait to receive it if you already know what months you did or did not have health insurance in 2016. When you do get the form, keep it with your other 2016 tax information in case you should need it in the future to help prove you had health insurance.
  6. What if I get more than one 1095 form?Someone who had health insurance through more than one employer during the year may receive a 1095-B or 1095-C from each employer. Some employees may receive a Form 1095-A and/or 1095-B reporting specific health coverage details. Just keep these—You do not need to send them in with your 2016 taxes.
  7. I have more questions—Who do I contact? An IRS website called Questions and Answers about Health Care Information Forms for Individuals (Forms 1095-A, 1095-B, and 1095-C) covers most of what you need to know.

Last updated: March 16, 2017

Last updated: March 16, 2017