Benefits (11)

When do I need to turn in my benefits enrollment form?

You must enroll in the benefit plans within 60 days from your date of hire. After 60 days you may only enroll during the open enrollment period. The plan year is January 1 to December 31, so after the initial 60 days of employment, your coverage would not begin until January 1. It is recommended that you enroll within your first week of employment. Enrollment forms are available from your departmental benefits coordinator or here.

When will my benefits coverage be effective?

The State of Maryland Employee Benefits Division processes enrollment forms for one effective date of coverage during the month. The effective date is the 1st day of the month following your date if hire, if you are hired the 2nd through the end of any month. The exception is if you are hired on the 1st of the month. Then your effective date will be the 1st of the month that you are hired.

Your effective date will be activated when the first deduction appears on your pay advice. The first deduction occurs after forms are submitted and depend on when the submission time falls within a processing cycle. It usually takes 2 to 3 pay periods for the first deduction to occur.  Then, your coverage will be retroactive to your effective date by paying mandatory premiums from your effective date to the date of your first payroll deduction. This is referred to as a retroactive adjustment.

How does the retroactive adjustment process work?

A retroactive adjustment is the direct payment of premiums to the State of Maryland that would be owed from your first payroll deduction to the actual effective date that your coverage begins. The amount owed for the adjustment is calculated by the State of Maryland Employee Benefits Division and you will be billed by them for the retroactive amount.

When will I receive my insurance cards?

You will receive your insurance cards in 7 to 10 business days from your first deduction.

How do I obtain my vision benefits?

The vision plan is incorporated as part of each medical plan. Participating service providers may file your claim directly with the plan. If the service provider cannot file the claim directly, you can file the claim by completing a form obtained from your specific vendor via their web site or by calling their customer service line. The vendor’s web sites may also be accessed through the benefits page of the University Human Resources web site.

View category→

Information Services (5)

How do I request campus mailing labels?

To request campus mailing labels you must complete a Mailing Label Request Form.

How do I get added to the 3D (Deans, Directors and Department Chairs) Mailing List?

In order to be added or removed from the 3Ds (Deans, Directors, and Department Chairs) distribution list, please complete the 3D’s Request Form

How do I correct my on-line campus directory information?

If corrections to your directory information need to be made, simply follow these steps:

  • Log in to ARES using your Directory Id and Password combination.
  • Click on the Payroll and Human Resources link and then click the Display/Update Personal Data link.
  • Make any changes to your information and click the Update button.

Please note that it may take up to a week before the corrected information is reflected in the on-line directory. If you need to make changes to your information, which are not available to you via the ARES screen, you must contact the PHR Creator within your department to make these changes directly in the PHR system.

How do I request PHR data?

To request PHR data please complete a Data Request Form, or to discuss specific data needs send a detailed e-mail describing the purpose of the data request and the information needed to Natalie Torres at ntorres@umd.edu or Kim Colbert at kcolbert@umd.edu.

How do I register for PHR Data Warehouse Training?

To register for PHR Data Warehouse Training, please complete the Registration Form.

View category→

Development & Training (17)

How can I register for a training course?

You can register online at training.umd.edu, which is a registration and tracking system. This system allows you to view, register, and cancel training.

What is PRD training, and how often is it offered?

This seminar is for employees and managers/supervisors who need to learn about the University of Maryland Performance Review and Development process. The class will focus on the basics of the PRD process as well as how to develop clear and effective performance expectations. Participants will be given the opportunity to develop and discuss performance expectations that focus on their specific position and support university, unit and department goals. PRD training is offered monthly, check the UHR Calendar at training.umd.edu for availability.

Where can I find PRD information and downloadable forms?

Updated PRD information such as the current cycle and PRD policies can be found at :  PRD

What is lynda.com and how do I access it?

All staff, faculty, and students have access to lynda.com, an online subscription library that teaches the latest businesssoftware, and creative skills through high-quality instructional videos.  Topics include project management, public speaking, leadership, facilitation, and thousands more.

Click here to Login    green arrow


Where can I send information if I have feedback on courses, suggestions for future classes, etc?

We would love to hear your opinions or any ideas you may have! Please e-mail us at UHRConnect@umd.edu.

View category→

Employment & Compensation (5)

What are the differences between exempt and nonexempt positions?

Nonexempt positions are subject to the minimum wage and overtime pay provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. At the university, this includes all of our maintenance, office, service, and technical/para-professional staff. Nonexempt employees must be paid overtime for hours worked that exceed 40 hours in the standard workweek; for University of Maryland nonexempt staff, this includes all time in a pay status during the standard workweek (including paid leave).

Exempt positions are salaried positions that are not subject to the minimum wage and overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (i.e., executive, managerial, and professional). Exempt employees are expected to work the hours necessary to complete assignments on a schedule that satisfies the requirements of the job, typically a minimum of 80 hours in a bi-weekly pay period for a full-time employee. Exempt employees are not eligible to receive overtime.

How do I apply for a position on campus?

To be considered for any of the current vacancies available at the University of Maryland College Park you must apply online. Nonexempt positions require applicants to complete a general application on line. The required documents for Exempt and Faculty vacancies can vary from position to position typically requiring a resume or cv, cover letter, and a listing of references. You must apply to each individual position that you wish to be considered for and only those applicants who apply online through the applicant tracking system will be considered for employment.

What happens after I apply?

The screening process may begin for some positions immediately or once the position closes to determine whether or not you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be certified to compete for the vacancy. The department/search committee will determine which applicants they wish to interview and will contact you directly.

Who determines what my job title should be and how much I should be paid?

The Classification Analysts in University Human Resources decide which job titles are appropriate for each job. This decision is based on all information contained within the Position Description Form. The information in that form, coupled with conversations with the supervisor of the position help the analyst to make this determination. For exempt positions, the analyst also establishes the appropriate range of pay based on market data.

I don’t think I am properly classified. How can I get my job reviewed? I think I should be at a higher grade.

If you think that you are not appropriately classified, you should bring the matter to the attention of your immediate supervisor. Using your old position description, begin the process by completing a new position description which will be entered into the university’s online Human Resources System in your unit. Be sure to clearly emphasize the changes you believe have occurred in the position. After your supervisor has completed his/her review of the position description form (PDF), it should be submitted electronically to the Department Head, Dean, or Designee for routing to University Human Resources. A University Human Resources Classification Specialist will review the PDF and determine whether the position is appropriately classified.

View category→

Staff Relations (6)

Where can I find the rules that apply to regular staff employees at UMD?

Rules may originate from a number of sources. There are numerous Board of Regents (or “BOR”) policies applicable to all staff employees, as well as UMD Policies and Procedures. There may also be departmental or even work group rules specific to where you work. If you are a bargaining unit employee, the applicable Memorandum of Understanding (exempt, nonexempt or Sworn Police) provides additional information.

How do I find out whether or not my job is in a bargaining unit?

The determination of inclusion or exclusion into one of the three campus bargaining units is made on a position-by-position basis as determined the duties of the individual job; this means that two employees sharing the same title may have different bargaining unit status. Your supervisor can tell you if your position is included in or excluded from a bargaining unit by viewing your appointment detail screen in PHR.

What is meant by the term “probationary employee”?

Each new regular employee, exempt or nonexempt, serves a trial period of employment designed to allow the university to determine if the employee has the necessary attributes and competencies to perform the essential duties of his/her position. Nonexempt regular employees new to the university generally serve an “original” probationary period of six (6) months. Exempt employees new to the university generally serve a probationary period of one (1) year. There are also different probationary periods that may apply as an employee moves to other jobs within the university.

Does the UMD have a formal process to address employee complaints?

Yes. The University has a formal process open to all Regular employees. Regular employees who are seeking resolutions to workplace matters such as discipline or the application of rules or procedures over which management has control may use the grievance procedure. (Please see links to BOR Policy VII 8.00 – Policy On Grievances for Nonexempt and Exempt Staff Employees)

Does the UMCP have a formal policy on Time & Attendance?

The core business hours of the university are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. However, individual departments determine the specific work hours and reporting requirements of those work groups, and such hours may vary according to the business needs of the organization and the assigned duties of the individual position.

View category→

Primary Areas of Service (9)

Administering University Policies and Business Rules

Assists departmental administrators and employees in understanding and applying various Board of Regents and UMCP human resources policies and procedures in the areas of wage and salary administration, leave and timekeeping, performance management, discipline, layoff and other employee relations issues.
Related Resources:

Collective Bargaining Issues

Represents management in collective bargaining negotiations with bargaining representatives for covered exempt, nonexempt and sworn police officers, and interprets resulting Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs). Trains management on collective bargaining issues such as familiarizing management with MOU provisions and representation rights. Negotiates side agreements, when necessary, with bargaining unit representatives.

Related Resources:  MOU Archive

Disciplinary Matters

Assists management in investigating and evaluating employee conduct for potential discipline. Provides assistance in determining what, if any, discipline may be appropriate and in creating necessary documents. Provides guidance on union employee right to representation during investigations.
Related Resources:

Fitness for Duty Issues

Schedules medical evaluations with qualified health care provider where there are questions regarding whether an employee is fit to perform the duties of his/her job because of existing health issues. Assists in preparing the documents needed to maximize medical reviews. Helps departments understand the information received after the consultation, ensuring appropriate confidentiality, and assists in the implementation of recommendations of the evaluating health care provider (if any). Assists in acute alcohol or drug situations.
Related Resources:

BOR Policy VI-8.00(F) – University of Maryland Fitness for Duty Policy and Procedures

View category→

Job Applicant FAQ (7)

How do I apply?

Begin the application process at ejobs.umd.edu by either of two ways:

  • Click on Apply to this job at the top of a specific job posting. You will be guided through the application process.
  • Click on Create Account from the Home Page. You will be guided through the application process and be able to search postings and click on Apply to this job at the top of a specific job posting.

What do I do if I forget my password?

Go to the login screen and click I forgot my user name / password. You will be prompted for your username and asked to answer the security questions you answered when setting up your job application account.

What do I do if I forget my username?

Go to the login screen and click I forgot my user name / password. You will be prompted for your email address used to setup your account.

How do I edit my application?

Once an application has been submitted, it can not be edited.

How long does my application stay on file?

Your application materials will stay on file indefinitely.

View category→

I-9 & E-Verify (21)

Can I print these FAQs?

Yes, just click the link below.


24. If an employee transfers units what do I need to do with the I-9?

Employees who are working at the university prior to March 5, 2017, who already have paper I-9 on file, will create historical I-9.  A Historical I-9 is a paper I-9 form that was completed prior to the implementation of the online system thereby, the information from the paper I-9 is entered into the electronic system with the same information.  By entering the information from the paper form into the system it is now considered a Historical I-9. Employees with a historical I-9 will not be E-verified because they are not considered new employees to the university. This option will appear after creating a profile for the employee in the Electronic system. Once the profile is created, the employee will click Save/Create I-9 and proceed to Create Historical I-9 Form.

1. What is an I-9?

In 1986 – Congress passed the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA). To comply with this regulation employees must complete a Form I-9. The Form I-9 verifies the identity and employment eligibility of individuals hired for employment in the United States after November 6, 1986. All U.S. employers must ensure proper completion of Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States.

2. What is E-Verify?

E-Verify compares the information on the I-9 form to records available within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration. This electronic verification confirms the employee’s identity as well as the person’s eligibility to work in the United States. On November 14, 2008, the Civilian Agency Acquisition Council and the Defense Acquisition Regulations Council issued a final rule amending the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR). The regulation requires contractors with a federal contract that contains a FAR E-Verify clause (FAR 52.222-54) to use E-Verify.

3. What are the benefits of E-Verify?

  • Reduces unauthorized employment
  • Improves the accuracy of wage and tax reporting
  • The system includes data to confirm the citizenship status of naturalized U.S. citizens
  • The system includes a Photo Screening Tool to detect identify theft
View category→