The end of the 2017-2018 Performance Review & Development Cycle (April 2017 through March 2018) is quickly approaching. This opportunity is used to discuss staff performance during the entire 12-month cycle and to discuss professional development opportunities for the next PRD review cycle. Supervisors are encouraged to begin preparing to conduct final PRD evaluations. Instructions and applicable timelines for completing PRD evaluations will be communicated in the coming weeks.
In preparation for final PRD evaluations and meetings, consideration of the following tips and best practices are recommended.
- No surprises.
- Performance ratings should be based upon position descriptions, PRD goals, actual performance, and ongoing communication between the employee and supervisor.
- Focus on all of the most critical job functions listed in the employee’s position description and PRD.
- Consider performance throughout the entire rating period – both good and opportunities for improvement.
- Note and discuss specific performance examples.
- Utilize the Employee Self-Assessment.
- Make the final PRD meeting interactive; a two-way conversation.
- Expectation Setting for Next Cycle:
- Establish an action plan with specific dates for all training and development.
- Ensure that performance goals are consistent with employee position descriptions and realistic.
- Supervisors should ask the employee for help in identifying development opportunities, when practicable.
- Schedule regular meetings between supervisor and employee to ensure ongoing communication.
For more information about the PRD process, register for PRD training. PRD training is offered the 2nd Wednesday of every month. Also, keep in mind that UHR offers additional training for supervisors and non-supervisors which can be found at training.umd.edu and through the Lynda.com e-learning library at lyndatraining.umd.edu.
For questions about the PRD process, please contact Staff Relations at 301-405-0001.
Last updated: February 2, 2018