With the winter season upon us, it is important that staff, faculty, and students are aware of how UMD communicates the operational status during inclement weather. Operational status may include closures, delayed openings, or any other schedule changes, due the inclement weather.
Updates regarding UMD’s open or closed status, as well as schedule changes, will be announced through various communication outlets including:
- UMD homepage (umd.edu)
- Twitter (@UofMaryland, @UMDRightNow, @PresidentLoh)
- UMD alerts (sign up at alert.umd.edu)
- UMD snowline (301-405-7669 or 5-SNOW)
- Local news outlets via the Internet, TV, and radio
For weather related leave information please visit UHR’s website: www.uhr.umd.edu.
The Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA) offers winter driving safety tips on their website at: http://roads.maryland.gov/OC/Winter_Driving_Safety_Tips.pdf.
Some SHA’s tips include:
- Never pass a snowplow or plow train (a series of plows working in tandem).
- Bridges, ramps, and overpasses freeze first. Always use caution when driving across them.
- Clear snow from your vehicle’s headlights, roof, and other places, which may obstruct vision or become a danger to other motorists.
- Make sure your vehicle is in proper working condition. Check the battery, tire tread and pressure, belts, hoses, and fluid levels.
- Travel with plenty of gas in the tank.
- When shoveling snow, do not place it in the street/roadway. Plow trucks push snow to the right. When facing your driveway, pile your snow to the left, off the road. This reminder will save you additional hours of shoveling!
Last updated: February 2, 2016