End of Year Payroll Information

check list being marked offThe Central Payroll Bureau (CPB) typically mails our Wage and Tax Statements (W-2 Forms) by mid-January. Please verify that the address on your paystub/direct deposit advice is correct. If there is no address or your address is incorrect, then you must:

  1. No Address

If you do not have an address on your paystub/direct deposit printout and you have been paid more than once, then you must submit an original W-4 Form (Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate). Unfortunately, you cannot update your address via the CPB website until at least one original W-4 Form is on file at CPB.

Important: The original W-4 Form should be submitted to Payroll Services, 1101-L Chesapeake Building; it must be submitted to Payroll Services by December 1, 2015 to affect the 2015 W-2, which is typically mailed in mid-January, 2016.

  1. Change Address/Incorrect Address

If you have an address on your paystub/direct deposit printout then you can change your address on-line via the CPB Payroll and Online Service Center Website (POSC): http://go.umd.edu/POSC. Click on the red POSC. To initially sign-up for POSC, you will need the number from your most recent paystub/direct deposit advice and our agency code which is 360222.

Paper W-4 Location

The W-4 Form can be found on CPB’s website: http://go.umd.edu/w4Form it can also be found on the University Human Resources website: http://go.umd.edu/uhrForms.

Be sure to use the appropriate W-4 Form depending on your permanent address (i.e. if you live in DC use the DC Form; if you live in MD use the MD Form). There is no W-4 Form for Virginia residents – you should use the MD W-4 Form and claim exempt for State taxes. Virginia residents who work for the University are responsible for paying their own VA taxes. CPB does not withhold taxes for Virginia.

Direct Deposit Information

Be sure to only use valid Checking or Savings accounts and routing numbers on your Direct Deposit Form. The bank routing number appears on the left side of the bottom of your check. Your bank account number is shown towards the right, after your routing number. Do not share the number that appears on your ATM/Debit Card or deposit slip. If you do not know your bank routing and account numbers, please contact your bank/financial institution. If the information you provide is incorrect, the bank may reject the direct deposit form which will result in a paper check being issued, or your money could be deposited into someone else’s account. The Comptroller of Maryland is not responsible for the misapplication of a direct deposit that is caused by the error, negligence, or malfeasance on the part of the employee, financial institution, or any of their agents.

It typically takes two pay periods for the direct deposit to go into effect. If, by your third paycheck, your pay is not direct deposited, please contact Payroll Services. If you change your direct deposit from one bank to another you will receive a paper paycheck during the transition.

Please call Payroll Services at 301-405-5665 with any questions.

Last updated: November 3, 2015

Last updated: November 3, 2015