We are pleased to announce that University Human Resources has secured a new web-based I-9 employment eligibility and E-Verify compliance system (Tracker) for the University of Maryland, College Park campus. Currently, the campus’s I-9 process is a decentralized paper process with a separate centralized E-Verify process. The purpose of the new Tracker system is to transform and combine the current manual I-9 process along with the E-Verify process into one electronic solution. With an automated employment verification process, the university can ensure compliance, timeliness, and accuracy of completing these mandatory employment forms. It will also eliminate the need for paper storage of sensitive employee documentation across campus.
Some of the advantages of the new Tracker electronic I-9 and E-Verify system include:
- Ensures consistent compliance of I-9 and E-Verify documentation with the assistance of on-line help resources and system edits.
- Provides campus-wide monitoring of I-9 and E-Verify compliance to ensure timely completion of forms.
- Maintains compliance by tracking document expirations and re-verification requirements.
- Maintains I-9s and E-Verify information in a central database so that the documents associate with employees even when their appointments move to other units.
- Eliminates paper I-9s, as well as paper copies of sensitive documents from all over campus.
- Eliminates duplicate processing since I-9 information can be easily shared with the E-Verify process.
A small implementation team has been formed with members from across campus and will be working closely with one of the academic colleges that has agreed to pilot the system in the fall 2014. The full campus implementation is anticipated for early 2015.
UHR has also developed an I9/E-Verify Tracker project website located on the UHR website located at uhr.umd.edu/I9. This site will be updated as we progress through the project implementation. Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact Kim Colbert at 301.405.5664.
View Memo: I9 E-Verify System Announcement
Dale O. Anderson
Director, University Human Resources
Last updated: January 8, 2019