UHR Learning and Talent Development is excited to introduce brand-new training courses for University employees. Starting in 2018, several new courses will be available, in addition to updates to existing courses.
The new courses will help you better understand yourself and others with the goal of providing skills to be more successful in the workplace and in life. They also provide information on supervising staff and students and creating a thriving workplace.
The new courses for supervisors
- Creating and Leading an Engaged-Empowered workplace: This leadership course is based on the premise that the path to great leadership starts with a deep understanding of the strengths supervisors and staff bring to the table. Participants are given tools to empower and engage staff to create and maintain a thriving workplace.
- Communicate through Team Conflict: This course helps you explore the five conflict-handling modes. Learn about your mode and other modes in order to work more effectively together.
- Supervising Students and Graduate Assistants: This course gives foundational leadership skills and also provides a forum for sharing and brainstorming ideas on how to inspire and motivate our student workforce.
The new courses for individual contributors
- KEYS to an Engaged and Empowered Workplace series (formerly EDI): This three course series, designed for individual contributors (non-supervisors) is a powerful series that gives participants the knowledge and skills to help create an engaged and empowered workplace. Modules include; Keys to a Positive Workplace, Effective Communication Skills and Conflict as Opportunity. Learners are exposed to new ideas and tools designed to help participants recognize that they have the power to create a thriving workplace.
- So You Want to be a Supervisor? is a new course that gives aspiring supervisors the knowledge and insight needed to help decide if a career in leadership is right for them.
- Let’s Focus on Your Strengths: This workshop helps you to learn about your top strengths and how to use them every day to be more self-aware and improve your performance. It can be used as a team building training workshop.
- The Hype of Personality Type: A Deep Dive using the MBTI® Step II Report. We know that your personality is more complex than four letters may convey. The MBTI® Step II Report offers additional insight by providing twenty more descriptors, or facets, to help you learn more about your unique type.
- Master Facilitator: This is a two-day program for anyone involved with or interested in how to conduct and develop trainings and workshops.
To better serve our participants, we are refining and repositioning our workshops to align with leadership tracks and functions. Some of the updates made to existing courses include:
- The addition of a new module on Performance Management Fundamentals to Leadership Development Initiatives I (LDI I). This new module gives leaders a simple, fair, and effective process for ensuring that employees are involved and engaged in establishing and achieving performance objectives.
- Rebranding of LDI II for supervisors who have a minimum of five years’ experience. They now have the opportunity to take their leadership skills to the next level by attending UMD Champion Leadership.
2018 dates and registration are available at training.umd.edu.
Last updated: December 8, 2017