Eating fruits and vegetables has many health benefits. People who eat a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables can:
- Lower their risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer.
- Eating healthy can also help prevent obesity and high blood pressure.
- Maintain or reach a healthy weight
- Keep your body strong and active
However, many people don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables.
- Fewer than 1 in 4 adults eat the recommended amount of fruits every day.
- Fewer than 1 in 7 adults eat the recommended amount of vegetables every day.
Here are some ideas to help you and your family fit more fruits and vegetables into your day:
- Keep a bowl of fruit handy where the whole family can see it.
- Cut up fruits and veggies ahead of time so they’re ready for quick, healthy snacks.
- Challenge your family to try a new veggie or fruit every week.
Remember, eating more fruits and veggies can be fun – and it’s worth it!
Courtesy of healthfinder.gov
Last updated: September 8, 2017