To the Campus Community:
With the winter season rapidly approaching and colder temperatures upon us, I wanted to remind you of our procedures for alerting students, faculty, and staff of closings, delayed openings, or any other schedule changes due to inclement weather.
Updates regarding UMD’s open or closed status, as well as other schedule changes, will be announced through various channels, including:
- UMD homepage (www.umd.edu)
- Twitter (@UMDRightNow and @presidentloh)
- UMD Alerts
- UMD Snowline (x5-SNOW or 301-405-7669)
- Local news outlets via the Web, TV and radio
As always, our first priority is your safety, and we ask you to do your part to keep yourself and others safe during times of inclement weather. A few helpful reminders:
- If you haven’t done so already, you can sign up for UMD Alerts by visiting www.alert.umd.edu.
- Program the campus emergency phone number, 301-405-3333 or #3333, into your cell phone. Report any emergencies immediately to University Police.
- Listen for campus Early Warning sirens if you are on campus. Seek instructions from the resources listed above, as well as 1640 AM radio, 88.1 FM radio, or Comcast cable channel 76 (UMTV).
- Keep your cell phone and other devices charged prior to severe weather.
For more information on emergency preparedness, please visit the University of Maryland’s Emergency Preparedness website.
Mary Ann Rankin, Ph.D.
Senior Vice President and Provost
Last updated: February 21, 2014