The following information provides important details pertaining to the January 2019 Cost of Living Adjustment (2% COLA) that was approved by the Maryland Legislature last spring.
WHAT YOU WILL SEE IN PHR
An automatic 2% COLA salary change amount will be added to the current base salary of all active salaried employees within the following employment categories:
02-Tenure Track Faculty
03-Faculty Non-Tenured Term Contract
15-Faculty Non-Tenured Continuing Contract
20- Nonexempt Regular
33- Exempt Regular
37- Faculty Non-Regular-Non-Tenured
These employees must also have appointment start dates prior to 1/1/2019 and appointment termination dates after 1/5/2019. If all of these conditions are met, the appointment record will have an automatic future salary change record, and pay adjustment, created by the PHR system.
* Effective pay period 13, a future salary change record will be created and displayed on the PHR “Base Salary & Funding/ Future Salary Changes “. Each record will have an actual change date of 1/1/2019 and a pay period effective date of 1/6/2019 for all of the above referenced employee categories. A Salary Change report will be made available by campus Payroll Services to detail each system generated salary change.
* Effective 1/2/2019, the PHR system will create PHR pay adjustments for the above referenced employees. The pay adjustment will be for the period 1/1/2019-1/5/2019 and calculated as 5/14ths of the difference between the current pay period 14 biweekly salary and the new pay period 15 biweekly salary.
* If manual COLA increases are created and approved on or before 1/1/2019, they will also have a system generated pay adjustment created providing the “Actual Change Date” used is 1/1/2019. All “COLA” pay adjustments for pay period 14 will display through “PHR Pay Adjustment” and/or “PHR Pay Calculation” beginning Wednesday January 2, 2019.
HOW TO CHANGE, OR ADD TO, WHAT YOU SEE IN PHR
To make changes to COLA salary adjustments:
*Delete the system generated COLA salary adjustment record by accessing the employee’s CURRENT PHR appointment and click “Salary and Base Salary Funding”. Next, scroll to the bottom and click “Future Salary Change”. Finally, click “Delete”.
A new salary change can then be created from the current “Base Salary and Base Salary Funding” page using an “Actual Change Date” of 1/1/2019 and entering the modified base salary. Release and approve the transaction by Tuesday January 1, 2019. You can also delete future salary changes by accessing the PHR appointment record from the PHR “Process” menu on the PHR “Search” page and clicking “Delete Future Approved Changes”.
CONTRACTUAL EMPLOYEES (Cat Stat 22 and 35)
COLA salary changes for contractual employees; (categories 22, or 35), when applicable will require a manual change in the PHR system; (Addendums must be routed thru UHR if the COLA is not already included in the employee’s contract). These changes should have an “Actual Change Date” of 1/1/2019, a salary change reason of COLA, and be approved by Tuesday 1/1/2019. The PHR system will then create automatic pay adjustments for these transactions providing they are approved on or before 1/1/2019 and the actual change date is 1/1/2019.
COLA AND SPRING 2019 TEACHING APPOINTMENTS
For those teaching employees who are eligible for the January 2019 COLA and are appointed on a semester basis, you must:
1. Extend the current Fall 2018 appointment termination date to the end of
the Spring 2019 semester to 6/8/2019. Release & approve.
2. Create a separate transaction to increase appointment FTE and/or salary
if the employee’s workload is changing for Spring 2019. DO NOT include COLA if
adjusting the salary. Release & have approved.
These steps must be performed in sequence and on or before 1/1/2019 if you want the PHR system to systematically add COLA and the COLA pay adjustment for pay period 14 processing.
If you allow Fall 2018 teaching appointments to terminate on 1/5/2019, and then reappoint the employee effective 1/6/2019 for Spring 2019 then you must add the COLA to
the appointment salary manually. You must also create the COLA pay adjustment manually for pay period 14 processing which is calculated as 5/14ths of the difference between pay period 14 biweekly salary and the new pay period 15 biweekly salary.
QUESTIONS and ASSISTANCE
Should you have any questions regarding these procedures please contact the UHR Support Center prior to making any changes in the PHR system at 301-405-7575.
Last updated: December 17, 2018