To report part of a data element instead of the entire value in the data element, use the substring string function in the Query or Results section.
- In Query section, select Request button and then select Query menu (In Results section, select Results menu).
- Select Add Computed Item.
- Name the new data item in the dialog box.
- Press the Functions… button on right in dialog box.
- Select String Functions from the Function List Categories window in the Database Functions dialog box.
- Select Substr from the Functions available in the window to the right.
- Complete the table by referencing the column name, the first character you wish to display and the total number of characters you wish to include in the display of the substring.
- Click OK in the Database Functions dialog box.
- Click OK in the Item dialog box.
- To review/modify the computed item double click on the item name on the Request Line.
Last updated: October 15, 2013