The Employment and Compensation Services staff is responsible for providing a wide variety of HR services. This includes classifying all staff positions for the campus as well as assisting in filling all Nonexempt vacancies.
To view current employment opportunities, Click Here.
Recruitment and Staffing
The Employment and Compensation Services staff is dedicated to identifying qualified candidates who closely match the individual knowledge, skill and ability preferences for departmental nonexempt vacancies on campus. In addition, this staff will source for applicants for contingent (or temporary) appointments.
- The Employment and Compensation staff is responsible for all matters related to the administration of the University System of Maryland (USM) Exempt and Nonexempt Pay Programs.
- This unit also provides advocacy assistance for departments with job classification issues
- performs departmental studies for efficient and effective organization of work
- conducts position reviews and determines proper classifications
- recommends titles and salary levels for Exempt and Nonexempt staff
- reviews non-faculty Contingent 2 employment agreements, conducts market salary surveys; maintains position descriptions for staff positions
- monitors adherence to salary ranges and levels
- reviews and approves acting capacity requests and overload requests.
The Employment and Compensation Services staff provides consulting services to campus departments and hiring units, such as:
- Ensuring compliance with campus and USM policies
- Ensuring compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Assisting with Organizational Planning
- Conducting training seminars (such as “Interviewing the Applicant”)
- Advertising assistance
The Employment and Compensation Services staff is available to assist employees with career planning, including:
- identification of employee development opportunities offered to employees through University Human Resources, as well as
- evaluation of other career opportunities at the University of Maryland.