The University recognizes the importance of achieving a healthy balance between work and family obligations and is committed to supporting our employees through certain measures to promote a “family-friendly” environment. Therefore, in accordance with the Maryland Healthy Working Families Act, a paid Sick and Safe Leave (SSL) is available to eligible employees to be used under the following conditions:
- To care for or treat the employee’s mental or physical illness, injury or condition;
- To obtain preventative medical care for the employee or the employee’s family member;
- To care for a family member with a mental or physical illness, injury or condition;
- For maternity or paternity leave; or
- The absence from work is necessary due to domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking committed against the employee or the employee’s family member and the leave is being used: (1) to obtain medical or mental health attention; (2) to obtain services from a victim services organization; (3) for legal services or proceedings; or (4) because the employee has temporarily relocated as a result of the domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking.
Leave wait period
Sick and Safe Leave
FTE or Full Time Equivalency is a percentage based on hours expected to work in a 2 week pay period. The Total FTE is a sum of all FTEs if you have more than one job on campus.
You can always view your Safe & Sick leave balance by viewing your time record online.
You must notify your supervisor prior to your scheduled work start time. On your time record, you will enter your scheduled work hours in the Safe & Sick leave row on the corresponding day rather than an In and Out time. For those that utilize card swipe, your supervisor will be responsible for entering the used leave.
You can accrue no more than 40 hours in a calendar year. No more than 40 hours of SSL may be carried over to the next year and is capped at a maximum of 64 hours of accrual and usage in the calendar year.